Roulette is one fun yet expensive casino game. If you’re not into gambling, you may think it is boring seeing players just placing their bets then watching the wheel spin and where the ball lands. That’s a very common first impression of the game. It’s not uncommon for people who thought so but started playing the game to change their opinion.
Roulette is the backbone of many casinos worldwide. It has become so popular that gambling establishments have become rich from their roulette tables, and that the wheel and the ball became one of the definitive symbols of the gambling industry. The game, an 18th century invention, has truly gone a long way throughout its history, having reached people all over the world through various technological innovations, most notably the Internet.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Playing Roulette
Indeed, roulette just has that inherent charm that draws so many players to its fold. In this article, we will examine the characteristics that make roulette such an attractive game and those that may potentially turn players off.
Reasons Why You Should Play the Casino Game Roulette
- Roulette is very easy to play – Roulette is famous for its simple set up, rules and game play. For starters, gamblers play roulette on a table with a wheel and a betting board. The wheel has 37 red and black numbers (1-36 and 0) in European roulette while 38 numbers (1-36, 0 and 00) in its American counterpart. To play the game, the players place wagers on the board until the dealer announces “no more bets”, upon which the ball is rolled onto an already spinning wheel. The corresponding number of the slot where the ball lands on is the winning bet.
- Players are offered multiple betting options – There are hundreds of betting combinations in roulette, giving you a lot of freedom and partial control of the game. You can put your stakes on inside bets, which are individual numbers on the board or a combination thereof. These bets pay high, but have very low chances of winning. You can also wager on outside bets, which are betting spaces for red, black, even and odd numbers, and eight specific ranges of inside bets. These ones produce very little payout as a trade off for their high winning odds.
- Winning odds in roulette is high – The chance of winning when you play roulette is another factor that made the game so popular. True, individual inside bets are rather hard to win, but the odds of winning outside bets – a little over 40% – are amongst the highest of all casino games.
- The game is among the few that can be easily played online – Roulette, like many other popular casino games, can now be played online. Thanks to the increased Internet usage the past decade has seen, various companies brought their businesses online, including gambling establishments. This has made roulette even more popular, as it brought so many common folk with an Internet access into its player base.
Disadvantages of Playing a Roulette Game
- Roulette is a very addictive game – Because of its simplicity, high winning odds, and the thrill it brings its players, roulette can be very addictive. People who play roulette for profit easily fall victim to this, as losing bets usually give them the goal to at least recuperate their losses, and small winning bets encourage them to keep playing on – these are both manifestations of greed, and the casino knows just how to make its income from it. Prolonged play can make people lose track of their gambling expenses, eventually leading to a serious drain in their coffers while the house gleefully profits.
- The game is completely random – Of all the characteristics of roulette, the game’s complete reliance on chance is what many average and experienced players have taken for granted. The long time neglect for this fact has caused so many people to create and use “strategies” and systems based on supposed patterns or trends in the roulette wheel. Despite seeming consistencies that occasionally come up, a normal unbiased roulette wheel is 100% random, and no single calculation can predict where the ball is landing next. Thus, the game presents no room for any tactical element, and even proven betting systems end up heavily flawed.
Like any other casino game, roulette has its own advantages, but does not come off without suffering the players a few big consequences. Roulette sure is a simple yet entertaining game, but let us not forget that in order to truly enjoy the game and end the day with a content smile on your face, self-control and knowing when to quit playing is essential.